CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 19, 2008

First 30 Days Without the NICU

Just under a month from the time we brought you home, we packed up and took you to a family reunion in Altamont, Utah. Once again, I was a nervous wreck not knowing what to expect traveling with such a tiny infant who had just been under 100% observation by doctors and nurses. I almost didn't want to go, but this was my mother's side of the family: the Stewarts, and each of them mean so much to me. Off we went packed to the hilt with baby gear, a breast pump and anxiety throughout. The reunion turned out to be wonderful and I am so glad that we went. There was a little creek running outside of our bedroom window which seemed to lull you to sleep when you were fussy at night. Here are a couple of photos of that trip. Our tiny family is in purple and at the top of the stairs:For a very special amount of time, you would sleep all snuggled up close to me at night. I would prop myself up on about 4 pillows and hold you ALL NIGHT LONG. That was your favorite way of sleeping whether it was at night or during a nap. (To be completely honest, it was MY favorite way of sleeping also!)
Sometimes, when I thought you were REALLY asleep, I would move you into the little bouncy / buzzy chair which was right next to me in the bed so I could move to a different position myself. I will never forget the bonding and closeness I felt as we slept together this way. Your tiny little breaths were sacred and beautiful.
One of the many things I just loved about caring for you was bath time. Although it was usually a team effort between your father and myself, sometimes I did it alone. You would lay in a little plastic baby bathtub which fit perfectly in the kitchen sink and just LOVED to feel the warm water all over your little body. We had several little sponge / brush thingy-s from the hospital which I used to clean your body and hair. Then after drying you off, my favorite of all parts was slathering you with baby lotion and dressing you in your jammies. Ask any parent and they will more than likely agree that a favorite smell is that of their clean baby.